*The store has not been updated recently. You may want to contact the merchant to confirm the availability of the product.
ARTIST: The Supremes
TITLE: Supremes - [Daily Mirror] Legends.
BACKGROUND: I believe that the cover image is of Mary Wilson, Susaye Greene and Scherrie Payne, which would imply that it was taken during 1976 or ’77. Some discussion boards have suggested that these tracks are more recent with some (if not all) performed by Former Ladies of the Supremes (FLOS) which was founded by the Supremes members Jean Terrell, Lynda Laurence and Scherrie Payne with some additional friends. This is just speculation though as it is not specified on the album sleeve. Either way it is a highly enjoyable whirlwind tour of back to back hits.
The original promotional material for this release stated: “The most successful girl group in history - The Supremes. Recording for Detroit's Motown label, The Supremes had 20 Top 10 hits in the States from 1964 to 1970, a whopping 12 of them topping the chart. In fact nine of the 10 songs on this CD, including Stop In The Name Of Love, Back In My Arms Again and Where Did Our Love Go, reached the No 1 spot!” The blurb for this UK promo CD compilation also commented on each of the tracks (shown in the tracklist within speech marks)…
The token collect method of getting this CD (from a very limited number of distribution points), meant that they were far scarcer than you might imagine. Even at the time of release copies of these CDs were changing hands for over US$ 20. For evidence of this see forum/discussion link below, where the one on ebay went for £11.50 (= $23) + shipping. NB. The price paid is quoted about two thirds of the way down, directly beneath the album cover art picture of ‘The Four Tops – Legends’ (although the price quoted is not related to this and specifically relates to the Supremes CD sold here!): http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/143924.html?1178597249
STYLE OF MUSIC / GENRE: Pop, R&B, soul, psychedelic soul, Motown, doo-wop, disco
TRACKLIST (followed by approximate running time of each song):
1. Where Did Our Love Go 2:37 “Written for - and rejected by - Motown stablemates The Marvelettes, this song was The Supremes' first UK single, a No.3 in 1964.”
2. Baby Love 2:43 “The Supremes' best-selling single, reaching No.1 in the US and UK in 1964.”
3. Come See About Me 2:34 “The third of five consecutive US No.1s, this was a hit again three years later in 1967 for Jnr Walker & the All Stars.”
4. Stop In The Name Of Love 2:41 “The choreography for this song - one hand on the hip, the other outstretched in front was taught to the girls backstage in London by Motown labelmates The Temptations.”
5. Back In My Arms Again 2:46 “Motown was an early adopter of eight-track recording, and this was originally one of its earliest eight-track productions.”
6. You Can't Hurry Love 3:01 “A chart-topper in the States, this song reached No.3 in Britain in 1966. Sixteen years later, Phil Collins' version made it to No.1.”
7. You Keep Me Hangin' On 2:50 “One of Motown's most covered songs, this has been sung by many artists, including Wilson Pickett, Rod Stewart and Kim Wilde.”
8. The Happening 2:43 “The theme to the 1967 Faye Dunaway film of the same name, the original recording of this was the last single credited to The Supremes. After this they became Diana Ross & The Supremes.”
9. Love Child 3:13 “An adult-themed song about a woman asking her boyfriend not to pressure her into sleeping with him for fear of conceiving a ‘love child’.”
10. Stoned Love 2:53 “A Vietnam-era plea for peace, this song was The Supremes' last US Top 10 hit.”
FORMAT: Standard size CD promo album in illustrated card case (as pictured).
PUBLISHED BY: Carbon Music & Entertainment / Daily Mirror newspaper (part of Trinity Mirror plc) 2007
CATALOGUE NUMBER: DMLCD05
CONDITION: This not a brand new CD. As such there may be signs of wear. It is an original product (not counterfeit). If we have more than one copy these are sent on a ‘first come, first served’ basis with those in the best condition sent to whoever buys first. Each CD is tested to ensure perfect playback.
POSTAGE AND PACKING: Sent from the UK. FREE SHIPPING TO ALL COUNTRIES WORLDWIDE!!!