*The store has not been updated recently. You may want to contact the merchant to confirm the availability of the product.
ARTIST: The Temptations
TITLE: The Temptations - The People; The Hits [Double Soul Collection Vol. 2].
NB. This is Volume 2 of a two part set. The first volume (which we are selling separately) is dedicated to Marvin Gaye.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION (ABOUT THIS RELEASE): From modest beginnings to superstardom. Much like label counterparts the Supremes, the Temptations' became a constantly adapting musical juggernaut (not least because of the changing line-up). Their ability not just to mine a rich series of hits, but to ‘own’ a diverse portfolio of sounds - by turns traditional (‘Just My Imagination’), timely (‘Ball of Confusion’), and hard-edged (‘Papa Was a Rolling Stone’) - has enhanced their enduring legacy. This collection chronicles highlights from the beginning of their journey and leaves you hungry for more...
STYLE OF MUSIC / GENRE: Pop, R&B, soul, psychedelic soul, rock and roll, Motown, doo-wop, funk.
TRACKLIST (followed by approximate running time of each song & info that originally accompanied this release):
1. The Temptations – Ain't Too Proud To Beg [2:50] - Originally from their outstanding debut album 'Getting Ready', this was also a success for the Rolling Stones, who covered the track in 1974.
2. The Temptations – Get Ready [2:53] - As with many of the early hits, this song was penned by fellow Motown legend Smokey Robinson, supervised by label founder Berry Gordy, and backed by one of music's greatest house bands.
3. The Temptations – My Girl [2:55] - Debut UK single, first released in 1965. Upon its first release it barely made the Top 40, however it subsequently reached No.2 in 1992 after featuring in the film of the same name.
4. The Temptations – Just My Imagination [3:47] - Originally from the album Sky's The Limit, which was not released in UK.
5. The Temptations – Papa Was A Rolling Stone [7:11] - Enduring and influential 1973 soul classic won the band three Grammy awards.
6. The Temptations – Beauty's Only Skin Deep [2:45] - This 1966 hit never appeared on a studio LP, but was on band's first Greatest Hits album.
7. The Temptations – I Can't Get Next To You [2:53] - This 1970 tune was The Temptations' biggest US hit.
8. The Temptations – I Wish It Would Rain [3:10] - Perfect example of their romantic soul, it tells of a man who wishes it would rain to hide his tears.
9. The Temptations – Ball Of Confusion [4:05] - One of the band's more politically aware tracks, released in 1970 at the height of the Vietnam War.
10. The Temptations – Cloud Nine [3:45] - On the 1969 album of the same name, which marked the start of the band's journey into 'psychedelic soul'.
Bonus Tracks (by other artists):
11. The Lakes – Old Timer [9:27]
12. Litter – Finish Up [8:27]
13. Mail – Pokey [5:48]
14. Yores – Bangs [5:27]
15. The Immediates – Big Day [5:25]
This CD contains 15 tracks and runs 70 minutes & 56 seconds. It is worth noting that three of the classic Temptations songs (all included here) - 'My Girl', 'Ain't Too Proud to Beg', and 'Papa Was a Rollin' Stone' - are among The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll!
FORMAT: Standard size CD promo album in illustrated card case (as pictured).
PUBLISHED BY: The People newspaper (part of Trinity Mirror plc) 2006
CATALOGUE NUMBER: PEOPSCCD02
CONDITION: This not a brand new CD. As such there may be signs of wear. It is an original product (not counterfeit). If we have more than one copy these are sent on a ‘first come, first served’ basis with those in the best condition sent to whoever buys first. Each CD is tested to ensure perfect playback.
POSTAGE AND PACKING: Sent from the UK. FREE SHIPPING TO ALL COUNTRIES WORLDWIDE!!!