*The store has not been updated recently. You may want to contact the merchant to confirm the availability of the product.
ARTIST: Marvin Gaye
TITLE: Marvin Gaye - The Hits; The People [Double Soul Collection Vol. 1].
BACKGROUND INFORMATION (ABOUT THIS RELEASE): This is Volume 1 of a two part set. The second volume (which we are selling separately) is dedicated to The Temptations.
According to the blurb which accompanied this release it includes “10 magical tracks from the legendary [soul giant] Marvin Gaye. [But] that's not all - you can complete your set with Volume Two, a great Temptations CD [which will be released one week after this]. It features 10 more soul classics including: Ain't Too Proud To Beg, My Girl, Papa Was A Rolling Stone, Get Ready and Just My Imagination. The second CD will fit in today's collector wallet, so don't miss out!” Weighing in with 10 of the late great soul singer's biggest & best signature songs. This collection is a handy compression of Marvin Gaye's Motown career. The only drawback is that you’ll end up wanting to dig deeper to uncover more of his back catalogue!
Please note that this release is different to ‘Marvin Gaye - The Greatest Hits in Concert’, despite sharing the same image on the cover (although that release has a white background).
STYLE OF MUSIC / GENRE: Pop, R&B, soul, smooth soul, quiet storm, Motown, doo-wop, funk.
TRACKLIST (followed by approximate running time of each song & info that originally accompanied this release):
1. Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On [3:11] - Originally from the album of the same name, this entered the UK Top 40 in September 1973.
2. Marvin Gaye - Got to Give It Up [3:04] - Reached No.7 in May 1977. It was his 19th UK release. Written by Marvin, the original version was 11 minutes long.
3. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On [3:06] - A move away from love songs towards social commentary. The missing question mark is not a mistake - it was a promise that listeners would learn something.
4. Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through the Grapevine [1:34] - Was Motown's best-selling international single of all time. It reached No1 in the UK in February 1969.
5. Marvin Gaye - Mercy, Mercy Me [1:55] - Written solely by Marvin and never released as a single in the UK, but reached the US Top 10 in 1971.
6. Marvin Gaye - How Sweet It Is to Be Loved by You [2:45] - His second UK release reached No.49 in December 1964.
7. Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues [3:04] - Reached the US Top 10 and originally featured on the album 'What's Going On'.
8. Marvin Gaye - Ain't That Peculiar [2:30] - This song first entered the US Top 10 in 1965 and was his best known solo hit before 'I Heard it Through the Grapevine'.
9. Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone [3:32] - His first record to sell a million copies and the first he recorded with Smokey Robinson. It originally reached the Top 10 in the USA in 1965.
10. Marvin Gaye - Distant Lover [3:53] - First featured on his hit album Let's Get It On, this was never released as a single but was always a high point of Marvin's live shows.
Bonus Tracks (by other artists):
11. Bobby Thompson - 2010 9:31
12. Taylor - Fall Over 8:28
13. Upset200 - Dancehall 5:26
14. Lopsided - Eternal 5:30
15. The Usesless - Undone 5:09
FORMAT: Standard size CD promo album in illustrated card case (as pictured).
PUBLISHED BY: The People newspaper (part of Trinity Mirror plc) 2006
CATALOGUE NUMBER: PEOPSCCD01
CONDITION: This not a brand new CD. As such there may be signs of wear. It is an original product (not counterfeit). If we have more than one copy these are sent on a ‘first come, first served’ basis with those in the best condition sent to whoever buys first. Each CD is tested to ensure perfect playback.
POSTAGE AND PACKING: Sent from the UK. FREE SHIPPING TO ALL COUNTRIES WORLDWIDE!!!